Water in the basement is a problem that many homeowners have to deal with from time to time. In both the spring and the fall when heavy storms hit, your basement can become inundated with water. The hurricane-like storms that we get occasionally can really play havoc with your lower level. A great way to combat this problem is to waterproof your basement. The question that most people have is: will waterproofing actually keep my basement dry?
Like many other fields in today’s marketplace, technology has come a long way when it comes to things like basement waterproofing. This was something that was not as reliable in the past, but now even houses in low-lying areas can benefit from basement waterproofing that really works and really makes a difference. Here are some of the advantages for homeowners who purchase basement waterproofing:
- Expands your habitable space. Instead of having hundreds of square feet in your basement that is just wasted space, waterproofing gives you back that space and makes it useable again. If you are afraid your basement may flood, you can’t even use it for storage, let alone anything more substantial. Once you have waterproofed you can quit stressing about the things that you put down there getting wet.
- Do the home remodeling job that will add value to your home and make it more livable. Maybe you have been thinking of moving because you need more space? Waterproofing your basement can open up that office space that you need or that spare bedroom that makes your house big enough that you don’t have to move. Even if you are not in need of the space at the moment, you will add value to your home by making the space within it more useable. It doesn’t matter whether its an arts and crafts room or an entertainment room, you will open up space that you never had previously.
- You can gain a much healthier living environment. If there is one thing that accompanies water in your basement, it is mold and mildew. If your basement has flooded, especially multiple times, it can be really tough to even see and identify the mold. In many cases people will start to experience breathing issues and other health problems and not even know why. If you waterproof your basement it will be evaluated for mold. If it turns out there is mold in your basement, it can be professionally removed before the waterproofing takes place, to insure that the health concern is eliminated and will not be coming back. You and your family will gain a much healthier living environment.
- The end result of water in your basement can ultimately be cracks in the structure or foundation. Once your basement is waterproofed, any foundational repairs will be made and you will not have to worry about dealing with them again. A dry basement keeps your house structurally sound which is not only good for you and your family, it helps protect your investment.
- The most valuable benefit to waterproofing your basement is the added value it gives to your home. You may plan on living in your house for many years to come, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be cognizant of the value of your house. You’re probably going to want to sell it at some point and making it more livable by waterproofing the basement is simply a no-brainer. You protect your investment and add value to your home and no matter how you look at it, that is always a good thing. Do what you can to take care of your home and you will reap the rewards when you go to sell your house.